This Guest Post is by Yvette d’Entremont, A.K.A. Science Babe www.SciBabe.com / www.Facebook.com/SciBabe Screw you, Dane Cook. My brain is geared to like certain things: Puppies, dirty jokes, and data. I’m a scientist, so I made a career out of at least one of these. I also cry with joy…
One man’s journey to move beyond poor health habits – and overcome an undiagnosed eating disorder. When our first child was born in 2007, I had an awakening. Carrying 285 pounds on my 5-foot-11-inch frame, I was completely out of shape. I had become a self-indulgent person, and it was time to start living for my family.
We all love the convenience of boneless, skinless chicken breasts-but they aren’t the only way to get an easy, protein-packed dinner on the table with minimal effort. Don’t believe us? Check out these six recipes that each pack at least 15 grams of protein per serving.
Do you ever learn about health from the media? I do. Here are some things I’ve seen recently. “How to engineer maximum deliciousness, pack in nutrients, increase sustainability, and build crazy food mashups.” But this is rather distant from my goal of eating when hungry. “More than 90% of us don’t get enough potassium.”
So because Facebook has a tendency to ram shit down my throat that I’d really rather not read, I was exposed to some hippie granola bullshit called “39 Life Lessons I’ve Learned in 39 Years.” I mean, it’s not all bullshit. There was some good stuff in there. There was…
In the past several years, as measured by Google Trends, interest in an unusual style of eating called the ketogenic diet has tripled, and chances are you have a friend or coworker who’s tried it. Early adopters are typically people who run or ride a lot and want a food plan that doesn’t just fill their tanks but also boosts performance.
Like most guys, I hated stretching. Why waste time sitting around when I could cram in more lifting? It hurt to learn that I was wrong-throbbed like hell, actually. I hurt my hip doing a leg workout and going running the same day, and had to shut down.
To heck with this helping kids (just kidding) I hope this can help me.
Mental exercises to build (or rebuild)attention span have shown promise recently as adjuncts or alternatives to amphetamines in addressing symptoms common to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Building cognitive control, to be better able to focus on just one thing, or single-task, might involve regular practice with a specialized video game that reinforces “top-down” cognitive modulation, as was the case in a popular paper in Nature last year.
The idea can be traced all the way back to the Garden of Eden: Almost as soon as we were created, we ate a toxic apple. Since then, perhaps to atone for this original sin, many of us have fallen prey to the idea that we are full of nasty, usually nebulously defined toxins in our bodies and we need to get rid of them to be purer, cleaner, and lighter.
- How SciBabe Lost (and kept off) 90 Pounds | Body for Wife October 23, 2016
- Beyond the Binge: Eric Dietzius’s Success Story · Experience Life October 2, 2016
- 6 Easy, High-Protein Dinners for Cyclists | Bicycling September 25, 2016
- Get off the treadmill: living well in the age of plenty | Books | The Guardian September 25, 2016
- 45 Life Lessons I’ve Learned in 45 Years | Body for Wife September 24, 2016
- 5 Ways You Can Live Forever | Mother Jones November 27, 2015
- Natural Born Heroes | Outside Online December 21, 2015
- 4 Things Stopping Us From Ditching Diet Culture and How to Finally Let It Go — Everyday Feminism December 21, 2015
- What is healthy eating? | Life and style | The Guardian December 21, 2015
- Why so many of the health articles you read are junk – Vox December 27, 2015
Blog Article Categories
- How SciBabe Lost (and kept off) 90 Pounds | Body for Wife
- Beyond the Binge: Eric Dietzius’s Success Story · Experience Life
- 6 Easy, High-Protein Dinners for Cyclists | Bicycling
- Get off the treadmill: living well in the age of plenty | Books | The Guardian
- 45 Life Lessons I’ve Learned in 45 Years | Body for Wife