- ▶ High-fat for health, with Professor Timothy Noakes. by talk medicine
Dr Peter Brukner has been looking at nutrition for health, both of athletes and in the wider population. In this podcast he speaks to Professor Tim Noakes, author of The Lore of Running, originator of the central governor theory, and a strong exponent of the low carbohyrate-high fat diet.
Tim talks about his views on carbohydrate, and how his experience of a very low carb diet has changed the way he views the decades old advice of low-fat intake – particularly when it comes to treatment of patients with type-2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease. They discuss this diet in the specific setting of sport – long distance and football codes. Professor Noakes has over 21,000 followers on Twitter (twitter.com/ProfTimNoakes) and his most recent book, Challenging Beliefs, includes an introduction to his thoughts on this topic.
Peter Brukner’s editorial on this topic is in the July 2013 issue of BJSM – bjsm.bmj.com/content/47/11/663.full
- Challenging beliefs in sports nutrition: are two ‘core principles’ proving to be myths ripe for busting? — Brukner 47 (11): 663 — British Journal of Sports Medicine
- Cycling (training and racing) on a Paleo Diet | Texas Tailwind
About Tim Noakes
- Tim Noakes – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Timothy David Noakes (born 1949) is a South African professor of exercise and sports science at the University of Cape Town. He has run more than 70 marathons andultramarathons, and is the author of the running book Lore of Running…
- ‘Tim Noakes diet’ comes out tops | Health24
- Tim Noakes on carbohydrates | Health24
- Challenging Beliefs: Tim Noakes at TEDxCapeTown – YouTube